Broken Rib scarf.
Yes, another scarf this one I knitted in a modified broken
rib patten. It is reversable meaning the front and back is the same. It is a
simple pattern as it involves only knits and purl stitches and is a 4 row
repeat.
This is a modified rib stich as traditional rib you do a k2 p2
on row 1 then p2 k2 on the second. Here I modified it to be k2 p2 on both ‘pattern’
rows as I felt it looked better. The two rows of plain knit all holds the rib
open.
The patten calls for a cast on of multiples of 4. However, I
cast on 42 stitches in order to give myself the salvage edging by always
slipping the first stich purl wise and always knitting the last stich. If you
prefer the knitted ‘bumpy’ edging, then the multiple of 4 is to be used.
Patten (including salvage edge)
Row 1 & 2: sl1pw *k2
p2* till last stich then k1
Ros 3 & 4: sl1pw knit
all
Just keep knitting this until the scarf is the required
length ending with row 4 and then cast off. Then if desired add tassels equally
spaced along both ends.
For my scarf I used Robin DK 100% acrylic yarn in the colour
fuchsia and used 4mm aluminium knitting needles. The yarn, like all acrylic
yarn has little stretch to it but it did work up well. The metal needles did
not give too much grip to the yarn so it was an easier knitting experience than
it would haver been with plastic needles.


Comments
Post a Comment